BTEC - Business and Technology Education Council
Age 16 +
As of September 2023, Wingate School will be the exclusive provider in the Canary Islands of this qualification training.
BTECs can provide you with real-life experience in your industry, which is valued by both potential universities and prospective employers.
From September 2023 we will be offering a 2-year BTEC Level 3 qualification for the following industries: Art and Design as well as Performing Arts.
And as of September 2024 we will also be offering Hospitality and Creative Media including Animation and Games.
BTEC qualifications are accepted worldwide, allowing you to progress to higher-level courses without the pressure of end-of-year exams. Assignments and coursework are marked throughout the course, and all the results from this work are combined towards your final grade. All courses have theory and practical experience in the relevant industry.
We collaborate with top businesses on the island to offer the best practical experience possible so that you learn on the job, and are totally prepared to enter the industry upon completion of the course. With experienced professional teachers from Wingate, which is officially an “Outstanding School”, and in collaboration with industry leaders for practical training, this combination has created the perfect learning experience to allow your transition to your career to be as seamless as possible.
Our courses are all bilingual. We offer languages as part of the course. If you are a native Spanish speaker, you will receive high-quality English lessons, and if you are a native English speaker, you will receive intensive Spanish lessons. If you are fluent in both, as with most of our Wingate students, you will receive German lessons.
We also offer Level 1 and Level 2 BTECs which can be studied as part of the Wingate School 6th Form in combination with A’levels and count towards University access.
To summarize what sets these courses apart:
- Courses created in collaboration with industry leaders to optimise qualification
- Easy direct path to local job market or universities
- Practical training with the top businesses in south Tenerife
- Bilingual courses and free language lessons to drastically increase your job prospects
- Coursework based – no final year exams
Hospitality - Units of study
- The Hospitality Industry
- Environment and Sustainability
- Customer Service Provision
- The Principles of Leadership and Supervision
- Cost control for Hospitality Supervisors
- Hospitality Business Enterprise
- Supervise Food and Beverage Service
- Accommodation Operations
- Industry-related Learning in Hospitality
- Real workplace experience as well as study
- Programme activities and language classes
Performing Arts - Units of study
- Investigating Practitioners’ Work
- Developing Skills and Techniques for Live Performance
- Group Performance Workshop
- Performing Arts in the Community
- Individual Performance Commission
- Final Live Performance to an audience
- Employment Opportunites in the Performing Arts
- Singing for Performance
- Musical Theatre Techniques
- Developing Skills and Techniques for Performance
Creative Media - Art and Design
- Exploring and Developing Creative Skills
- Advancing Creative Practice
- Responding to a brief
- Creative Project
- Personal Progression
- Personal Investigation
- Creative Industry Response
- Minimum of 4 GCSE at 4-5 (C) or above, including English Language
- A Level 2 qualification at Merit or above
- An interview/audition where you will need to demonstrate your enthusiasm and commitment to this area of work
- You will take an initial assessment, which you will need to pass at Level 2 to gain access to the course
- All courses are subject to a successful and positive reference from a previous tutor or employer